Tuesday, December 25, 2007

My Christmas Column

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Christmas? In the Chuck Spohr household, we uphold a tradition that is relatively new to us and the rest of the world, but it appears to be a growing trend. Why right here in our hotel, all the way across the world, in the middle of Russia, much to my amazement, I have seen it celebrated again. Without further ado, here is a picture of it in all its splendor.

I give you “The Christmas Column.”

This new symbol of Christmas represents equality from top to bottom. Not a single bough in this display thinks it’s greater than the other. Oh sure it doesn’t look like anything you’d ever find naturally occurring in the forest, but maybe this symbol is what the season is really all about; all God's creatures being treated equally.

Not so long ago, my Mother was shopping for an artificial, replacement tree, when what did her eyes behold, the Christmas Column. I don’t think she even realized what she stumbled upon at first. Truthfully, I don’t think the manufacturer did either. For in this product they have created a symbol of Christmas that shares equality with practicality. The “footprint” of this column is no bigger than yours or mine. Kids love it too, for even a small number of presents around this tree looks impressive.

Furthermore, I think you are all aware of the catastrophes that can occur with your typical tree. A father has to face his fears every year placing a star atop the tree. Those long limbs at the bottom leave a father hanging perilously out from the ladder and over the tree as he tries to delicately place the star or angel on that lone branch.

Yet another problem this column solves, is young ones practically getting lost or snared by a sappy branch as they go searching for that last little present. And I hesitate to even mention the unsightly "plumber" view we get when Dad or even Mom venture into the unknown to plug in that always just long enough string of lights, or to water a dying tree.

Line a few columns up, and you have a Christmas wall. Or look at what our hotel did here. They put a column next to a support column. Walk in the door and your greeted by a column. Walk past a marble column and much to your delight you find a Christmas Column. Coming at it from the other way is just as pleasant. No long limbs at the bottom here to cause the fire marshall, or whatever the equivilant here in Russia is, any worry. Just good clean Christmas fun.

So this year join the Spohrs, and even some Russians, in this new Christmas tradition and get yourselves a Christmas column. Heck, why not get two or three.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I just went and told mom that there's a "new update" and she said, "I'll be there in just a minute."
    I can't wait to see her read it and get the "silent giggle shakes!"
    What a GREAT Christmas gift!
    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom is still shaking after a second reading. We'll send ya a video.....
    You won't be disappointed.

    Sweet clip of Ben, looks like him and Charlie will be good snackin' buddies.

    See ya soon,
    TMNT forever

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little did I dream that the "Christmas Column" would become a worldwide sensation. I am so glad that you found something to remind you of home half way around the world. I never realized the added benefit of the small packages looking bigger beside the slim tree, but I can see that that is a great advantage.

    We are having a good time at Martha's but we miss you and your family. Can't wait till Thursday.

    Love from Grandma Spohr.

    ReplyDelete