Novosibirsk is a modern city in many ways; traffic control is not one of them. Minneapolis' worst traffic snarl couldn't compare with the one that got a hold of us today. Alright, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but this "jam" did keep us away from Ben today, so the end of our day wasn't what we had hoped for by a long shot.
Our schedule for seeing Benjamin is 4:00 - 6:30 pm. Not a huge window in the grand scheme of a day, and that's probably why we have been able to be so active on this blog. Aside from blogging we've been getting to know the city a bit in our free time, but today it backfired on us.
We were having a completely enjoyable day until the traffic problem. We did go to the Siberian forest and had a good time walking around in the woods until it was time to go and catch the train back. The train ride was fun and gave a good glimpse into a Siberian's everyday life.
Everything took a little longer than expected however, so we got back later than we wanted to. We have to cross the Ob River to get to Benjamin's home. As far as we know there are only two bridges that allow you to do this in Novosibirsk. Anyway, if one of them becomes a "parking lot," like the one we were trying to cross most certainly was, the other one does too. 1.5 million people, two bridges; you do the math.
We will not fail you tomorrow Benjamin!
Ed and Linda

Wow what a beautiful picture! I suppose it doesn't make up for not seeing Benjamin - but maybe we can photoshop he and Bart in!
ReplyDeleteI forwarded your blog to Uncle Ed, Kari, Nina. This sure is a fun way to keep in touch.
ReplyDeleteWe have enjoyed your blog and have read all the comments now. Sorry you missed being with Ben - I know it must have been hard. He is a cutie and what a laugh - enjoyed the video. The pictures have been great. Checking in is the first thing I do in the morning.
ReplyDeleteGreat pics and video of the little dude. What a cutie. I love his laugh. Life got ahold of me and I had a lot of reading to do to catch up with recent events - I'm glad you keep an archive in the blog.
ReplyDeleteSo glad that the hearing went well and that you're on course. Seriously, what's another ten days!
One last thing - you should know that in a conversation between a concordia Dean and another VP, the cell phone incident at Orchestra Hall was a major topic of conversation. I stood silently and nodded, mustering the good sense to not mention that I secured the culprit's ticket.
Have fun. See you soon.
Needless to say, NOT waiting the 10 days would have been strongly preferred, but what a great opportunity to see a part of the world that few State-side ever see! That looks to be a mighty fine forest.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to Eric's comment--we can now hold the following threat to Lemon Jello whenever he's acting up: You behave...or I'll call you...
Greetings guys. Ben looks amazing. It will be so fun to meet the little guy.
ReplyDeleteThe area you’re in looks great - I'm sure there are lots of interesting things to do and see. Have a great stay and safe trip home.
...sorry for all the trouble Runinstead. I assume they can verify the ring tone from the tapes....so, please be sure that it was in fact the Macarena.
Bet you got lots of extra big smiles and giggles from Benjamin when you came back the next day. Checked out Novosibirsk on the Internet; it does look beautiful. Hope you are taking lots of photos for Ben to see. Ugly traffic jam! Neat picture of you in the Siberian Forest. It reminds me of the forest in "The Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe." Are you sure your train didn't take you to Narnia. I'm still playing the Giggle Video. Love, ...jan
ReplyDeleteThe learning curve for me in the blogging world is a little steep, so I have finally been able to spend some time looking at all that you have written and posted. Of course, I am crying. I am finding it hard to believe we have to wait so long to see you.
ReplyDeleteEd and Linda, your writing is really lovely. I look forward to all you will tell us, but I look forward more to seeing you.