Well sort of. The good news is that the judge approved our petition to adopt Benjamin, the bad news is that she did not waive the 10 waiting period liked we had hoped. Bummer.
So we're going to be here awhile and almost certainly won't be home before Christmas. We took this news a little harder than we expected we would. I guess we had rather high hopes based on other recent families all getting their 10 waiting period waved. Oh well, the end result is all that really matters, and another few days over here is something we can handle.
The court process was a bit odd. We met with a translator yesterday who "prepped" us with information about the whole process. She gave us examples of the kinds of questions we would be asked, told us a bit about the judge, and other people that would be present. She gave us good feedback on what would be appropriate to mention and what would be best to omit.
The court proceeding seemed very brief. What is strange is that the judge never looked at us, not once. I'm not sure if she really looked at anyone else in the room either. She was a very stern looking woman, and asked us only one question I think. Our translator said that was because we did such a good job in presenting ourselves. Hard to say why the judge then made the decision she did. Frustrating for sure.
Our translator/representatives were not very happy with the judges decision either. We had brought a small gift with us for the judge, but they did not even want to give it to her after the hearing. They will do everything within their power to get us out of town the minute our 10 days are up. That's good. They'll probably be pretty sick of babysitting us by then.
We'll visit Benjamin every day now until we finally make the last trip to go get him and take him with us. I think this wait will actually make the transition to being with us a little less traumatic. He'll feel a little safer leaving his home if he knows us a little better.
Well we're tired after a long emotional day. We just got back to the hotel after dinner, and Linda is actually sleeping in the chair next to me as I sit in the lobby and type away.
The computer battery is about dead here too, so I think all three of us will go up to our room and try to recharge.
Good night for us, Good morning to you.
Ed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Ed and Linda, Christmas will be when you get home with BEN! I'm sure it will be less traumatic for him if he has a few days to get to know you better. So make the most of the time getting to know him better and getting to know more about the city. Congratulations! He is a darling little boy. We're so happy for you and him and can't wait to meet him. MOM
ReplyDeleteEd and Linda - Congratulations! I'm sure that the days will go quickly. I suppose it will be good to ease Ben into his new family before he gets to his brother Bart! That will be an experience he won't forget. Sara
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post to read! We couldn't be happier for you. You are parents!! The 10 days will fly by, and you'll soon be back with family and friends in your house reading Ben all those books and playing with all those toys. We can't wait to see you all!
ReplyDeleteKevin, Tricia, Solvei and Greta
Ed and Linda...Congratulations Mom and Dad! Your beautiful little boy is so lucky to have you guys for parents. He's got a wonderful (and fun) life ahead of him. Sorry court didn't work out the way we hoped; I know it's very disappointing for you. Please hug him for me. Love, Jan
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I just broke the news to Bart, but I can't tell if he is happy or sad because he went right under the table and laid down. Anyway, I'm sure the days will fly by and you'll be home before you know it. Bart is now doing a little whining under the table, I think he must be overcome with joy, as we all are. I'm really happy for you guys and can't wait for you to get back.
ReplyDeleteBill and Bart-dog
P.S. - Bart says Hi.
Hi Ed and Linda, Congratulations! We are so happy for you! I'm sure the days are going to fly by. We look forward to seeing you back and meeting Ben.
ReplyDeleteJoel, Lisa, Bailey, and Luke
We are so happy for you. He looks like a gem.
ReplyDeleteLove
Paul, Carla and Stanley