For those of you who get a little teary eyed easily, you know who you are, you may want to grab your box of tissue. Don't worry they'll be good tears.
We got him.
You'll have to forgive me if I get a bit sappy in this post, but hey, it's a pretty big day for our family.
He's upstairs asleep in his crib right now. He fought it like I suppose any normal toddler would, but he couldn't resist Linda's motherly charms and fell asleep in her arms as she rocked him. I was sitting closely by watching his eyelids fall shut. Once his thumb detatched from his mouth, we risked moving him to his crib. No problem. I waited for awhile longer, and then feeling pretty confident that he was soundly asleep, I asked Linda to turn on the light so I could take his picture.
We picked him up today around 4:00. His caretaker quickly stripped him and put on his new clothes. Boy does he know the drill. The precision with which they worked together was really quite astonishing. At least to us it was.
Healthwise, Linda and I are both fighting some pretty serious congestion right now. At the end of the day we both look like we are ready to lead Santa's sleigh. I'm hoping it just an allergic reaction to something for me. If so, I'll be fine tomorrow. Linda has been fighting it all week, so hopefully this is just the grand finale.
Of course Benjamin's health is the most important at this point. The Dr. at the baby home tells us that the children have very weak immune systems due to their lack of exposure to the outside world. They tend to catch this junk quicker than normal and the consequences tend to be more severe. If he's congested when he boards the plane on Monday, well, well we're praying that he won't be.
He was coughing just a wee bit today and his nose was just a little runny. The Dr. said that was normal and she wasn't worried about him catching anything from us, based on Linda's exam yesterday. She still said not to kiss him too much, wished us well and then said we hope to see you back again real soon to adopt a girl.
Benjamin looked a bit terrified on the car ride back to the hotel. Welcome to our world kid. Our driver is crazy. Every driver here is. We are very glad to have Ben with us now so we won't have to make that trip again.
When we got back we explored the hotel with him a little and then went to our little room. He got bored with that pretty quick, so we paced the hall for awhile. He would always start to pout when we back to the room, but we distracted him as best we could until dinner time.
We fed him at the Dr. recommended time. Then stripped him for a bath. Of course he promptly peed on the floor. He enjoyed his bath- even wanted to get back in after Mom decided his time was up. We got his pjs on him though and then let Brown Bear work his magic.
We got his schedule from the Dr. earlier in the week and have managed to stick to it in the few short hours that we've had him. He's scheduled to wake up at 7:00 tomorrow morning. Ouch. We haven't been up that early since we left MN.
Place your bets on how long he sleeps tonight. He looks like a little angel as he sleeps right now, but I imagine he'll be pretty scared to wake up in a strange place tomorrow. We'll be right there to comfort him.
Tomorrow is a pretty big day for us too. There is a lot of paperwork that needs to get completed so we can fly out of here on Monday. Nina and Gendrich are pretty confident that they'll be able to get it all done in a day. They typically plan on three days. We'll be able to catch the later flight on Monday if necessary.
Well if any of you experienced parents out there have some good advice for us. Now's the time to share it.
Well I wanted to keep this brief so I could hurry up and get back to my family. I'm quite used to talking to many of you on a regular basis though and we have so much to share with you all, that I knew I was going to get a little long winded here.
Goodnight.

I was too excited to read this blog entry that I didn't take your advice and grab the tissues. ah, well...the desk, and keyboard, and my shirt, and my face will all clean up nicely, I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations. My little nephew is precious and I'm so excited to meet him...not long now.
all my love (and Mike and Charlie's too...and I bet Daisy's even got some love to share),
Martha
I've been checking all morning at work. Wonderful news. Your parenting skills look like they ware working pretty good. He looks like a little angel sleeping there but I am sure it will be a challenge to keep him occupied until you leave on Monday. Sorry to hear Ed if a little under the weather too. Take care - I know it will be hard not to keep giving Ben kisses.
ReplyDeleteDog tissues anyone? Bart is going nuts after hearing the news.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I can't wait for you guys to get back so I can meet my newest nephew. I hope all the paper work goes through fine and I'll see ya soon.
Bill
I'll try to muster up some sage parenting travel tips later, but I can't just now. I'm at a loss for words.
ReplyDeleteAwesome, awesome news.
-K.
I am not one to need tissues. Although they are sitting here because I too am congested. You got me, now I need them for two reasons.
ReplyDeleteI bet Daisy's parents can help you with some seasoned advice for a kid who pees on the floor!!
I too cannot wait to me my new nephew Benjamin. You all are constantly in my prayers. I love you. Sara
That is the best Christmas news ever! You'll always have the great memory of this day every Christmas to come. I just love the image of Linda rocking Ben to sleep and Ed sitting near. What a blessed little boy and what blessed parents. Can't wait til you are home safe and sound.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Tricia
You asked for bets on how long he would sleep. He looks so peaceful and content I don't think his schedule will change unless he is anxious to get up and play with his parents. Have fun.
ReplyDeleteMom
Wow, how wonderful...So happy for you! He looks like a sleeping angel. I can only imagine the awesome joy you must be feeling. You were right, I'm dripping tears all over the place. Love, jan
ReplyDeleteWow, What a great day. Now you can rest easy, He is in your arms for good. He is your little angel. Can't wait for you to get back. See you soon.
ReplyDeleteEd, take care of your precious family
The gang here is really happy for you as well. They were at my desk a numerious times yesterday asking if there was any word.
Thank goodness there is a box of kleenex here!
Hey, have to run, but wanted to say a quick CONGRATS. I am so happy for you all. Now you are officially a family. Bit of advice for the plane though, remember to pack a sippy for Ben full of water or juice in case he has problems with his ears on take off or decent. Make him suck like mad or give him something to eat so he keeps swallowing. SAFE TRAVELS.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas you guys!
Congrats you guys! That is awesome news! We're excited to meet Ben! We will see you soon! Merry Christmas to your family!
ReplyDeleteWoo Hoo!! Happy Days!! We are so very excited! He is going to bring so much joy to all of us! What a great way to start the NEW Year!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you all!
Love, Jim, Kathy & the kids =)
The Runestads share your joy! What a great thing.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a lot of advice to offer (Anna would have more), but I'll reinforce what you're doing. Divert, distract, comfort, hold, hug, run, play, laugh, and don't forget to tickle. Play peek-a-boo. Sleep when Ben sleeps. And above all, enjoy the adventure!
Much love from the Runestads
Because I'm silly I just kept reading sans tissues, too...and I'm totally the weepy one in this family.
ReplyDeleteWhat really made me cry, though, was when V peeked around the computer while I was reading, pointed to Ben and said, "Who's that?" all excited. I said, oh, that's your new friend Benjamin" and then cried and cried! Poor girl is going to think Ben makes me cry!
Like Eric said, sleep when he sleeps, for heaven's sake! Know too that transitions are hard even for V, and she's never been out of our tri-state area. Moving from house to car or car to store/ grandma's/whatever used to incite tears, so distraction is totally the key.
We can hardly wait to meet him. Much, much love from the Ganyo family to the Spohrs.
Congratulations, mom and dad.
ReplyDeleteYou don't need advice- you already have what it takes.
We love you and we'll see you soon.
Thank you, God.
Dan, Michelle & Alex
You had me at "Oh Sweet Child of Ours"... but was that a biblical reference or a Guns 'N Roses reference? Either way very fitting. Congratulations. So happy for all of you. Have a safe and swift return home!
ReplyDeleteLiz, Jon & Sam Leino
I think I'm one of the few people actually working today. Luckily I have a box of tissues on my desk so no one has noticed my tears. Congratulations my dear cousins. My happiness for you is beyond words. Love to you all, and praying for a healthy and safe journey home for you. Can't wait to meet Ben in person!
ReplyDeleteLove, Sherry
Come on you guys, wake up and update your blog! We're waiting to see how your first night went as a family!
ReplyDeleteditto what Michelle said!
ReplyDeletewaiting, waiting, waiting...
love,
Martha, Mike and Charlie
With a little one you are not supposed to be sleeping in but I guess he is keeping you so busy you don't have time for us here anxiously awaiting updates.
ReplyDeleteLuv ya Mom
Congrats, Ed and Linda! I know that you will be wonderful parents and that Ben has a wonderful future and two of the brightest parents ever, I mean how else could they have picked the best boy in the bunch.
ReplyDeleteHaving a child of your own is the best Christmas present ever and a wonderful way to start out the new year.
See you soon when you get back home.
All our love, John, Linda, Stephanie, Don, Anjean and Melinda.
It took some time but I finally got the computer to "allow" me the privilage of having a Google account so that I could read and post a comment.
ReplyDeleteJohn